Project Engineer – Powertrain Electrification - EDU Lead Engineer
Job no: 509544
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
To be responsible for leading specification, integration and on-time delivery of Electric Drive Unit (EDU) systems into Electrified Powertrain programmes for AML vehicles.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- To define and own the components (Inverter, eMotor and Gearbox) within the EDU Systems team. Their integration into the EDU system and their integration into vehicle from concept through to production
- Engage with AML team of transmission, EDU system, ePT System engineers and external suppliers to deliver Inverters and eMotors on time into production, including achieving:
Function: Generate robust System Design Specification to define system functional targets; deliver components to achieve targets; establish regular design reviews with cross functional teams; support Test & Development team with DVP planning & execution & ensure supplier tests are completed on time.
Package: Support CAD engineers to achieve static & dynamic clearance targets, negotiate component change in other AML R&D departments if required to achieve clearances. Ensure CAD designs incorporate all Design for Manufacture & Service requirements.
Quality: Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies)
Cost: Definition of programme cost targets and working with suppliers to deliver system that achieves these targets. Maintain control of tooling, engineering & part costs via AML’s Cost Management System (CMS) and predict the spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget.
Weight: Definition of programme weight targets and supporting CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets
- Main point of contact for EDU for feasibility, functionality and resolution of all technical issues on specific programmes
- Deliver the commodity programme to meet Mission Gateway objectives including leading Final Engineering Sign Off activities
- Support delivery of the Inverter, eMotor, Gearbox and EDU commodity strategy with Manager of EDU systems
- Define & manage a commodity plan for each programme including design & manufacturing lead-times as well as key programme deliverables timing.
- Present status at Gateways and support Powertrain design reviews, AML Package Meetings & Powertrain PMT meetings.
- Work cross-functionally with other R&D departments to define EDU systems balancing characteristics to achieve vehicle requirements for minimum cost
- Support control strategy definition for the Inverter, eMotor, Gearbox and EDU
- Support all Virtual Verification activities, including packaging, 1D & 3D analyses
- Support thermal modelling of EDU components and systems
- Coordinate system and supplier comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Complete Change Tracking Documents, Engineering Release Notices & Releases to allow engineering changes to be approved by the AML organisations.
- Resolve engineering Concerns (using eCMS) in a timely fashion.
- Lead FMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
- Support Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC activities to ensure compliance
- Support Intellectual Property (IP) team to protect AML generated IP
- Acquire and evaluate competitor benchmark information to influence concept creation in early project phases
- Train, coach and present technical information and share the knowledge throughout AML
- Develop and record best practices and lead development of Inverter, eMotor and Gearbox design manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
Qualification & Experience:
- Delivery of Inverter, eMotors and Gearboxes for hybrid and/or electric vehicles to ISO 26262
- Deep technical knowledge of Inverter power electronics and/or eMotor design and topologies and/or Gearbox design
- Hands on experience of working with automotive High Voltage EDU systems
- Knowledge of all relevant legislation and certification requirements for automotive EDU systems
- Experience of delivering Inverter, eMotor and/or Gearbox commodities from early R&D to series production through an automotive product creation system
- Leadership of product development projects to production including supplier management
- Inverter and eMotor development for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles to ISO 26262
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of different Inverter, eMotor, gearbox and EDU layouts
- Automotive powertrain electrical, electronic and mechanical integration knowledge
- Experience in high power, high torque density eMotor machine design and delivery
- Experience in high voltage switching components (MOSFETs, IGBTs)
- Experience in geartrain design and associated components
- Use of test equipment to support electrical and electronic system testing
- Driving product development issues to a resolution
- Strong user of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with CAD (NX, CATIA)
- Responsibility in Formula Student/SAE team
- Engineering Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic and/or related field
- High Voltage Senior Authorised Person Qualification (or equivalent)
- High Voltage Live Working Qualification
- Strong teamwork skills, self-motivated, eager to take responsibility and deliver results with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience in cross-functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organise multiple inputs into succinct summary
- Accomplished writer of technical and project status reports
- Fluent presenter of technical information at all levels including to senior director level at AML and in external companies
- Ability to challenge experts, consultants and seniors by presenting measured opinion
- Passion for the advancement of hybrid and electric powertrain and vehicle technology
Belong at Aston Martin
We understand that the incredible beauty, craft and art that defines an Aston Martin comes from the inclusion of our amazing people.
We welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, colour, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. We celebrate diversity and are seeking applicants who can bring something different. Please speak to us if there is anything you need to support making an application with us.
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend