Project Engineer - Handles, Locks and Latches - IEM078
Job no: 499291
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Categories: Research and Development
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real
Lead the development and integration of Body Mechanism systems and components on a new vehicle programme.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide technical leadership for Handles, Locks and Latches commodity group.
- Ensure progression of design maturity from initial concept approval through to Final Data Judgement (FDJ) and Final Engineering Sign-Off (FESO) in line with agreed programme gateways and design checkpoints
- Define appropriate system-level engineering targets to meet programme function, quality and attribute requirements.
- Develop and maintain the design validation plan (DVP) including both in-house and supplier testing and ensure development and sign-off tests are completed on schedule.
- Develop System Design Specifications incorporating engineering standards, test procedures and material specifications and update these based on quality history and lessons-learned from previous AML programmes.
- Develop and Maintain Aston Martin design manuals, AMDS, AMES, AMTS as required.
- Lead Failure Mode Avoidance activities including DFMEA, quality history reviews, development tests and CAE study requests as required.
- Lead the resolution of design, attribute or packaging incompatibilities through the appropriate cross-functional forums including but not limited to Virtual Concept Integration Meeting (VCIM), Section Reviews, Engineering Technical Forum, including presenting at these forums where required.
- Support vehicle launch and pre-production builds (both virtual and physical) and ensure progression of engineering concerns through initial containment, root cause analysis and permanent corrective actions.
- Manage cost deck for all Handles, Locks and Latches and sub components as required using the AML Cost Management tool. Identify and record/escalate Risks and Opportunities, Raise CRF’s as required and ensure accuracy of deck at all times.
Qualifications and Experience
- Engineering degree (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience within automotive engineering / product development
- Proven experience in development and/or integration of closure latching systems (side door, bonnet and decklid/tailgate) on new vehicle programmes.
- Relevant experience in automotive closures, glazing, sealing and/or exterior trim systems may be considered.
- Proven ability to deliver engineering solutions in line with cost, quality and attribute targets
- Understands testing and validation requirements for automotive body systems
- Familiar with failure mode avoidance techniques including DFMEA
- Good understanding of manufacturing techniques and tooling including stamping, casting, injection moulding and fabrication.
- Commodity-specific knowledge on latest technology and industry benchmarks applicable to automotive latching systems.
- Proficient in the use of Teamcentre / VisMockup to interrogate CAD designs
- CAD literate (Siemens NX)
- Competitive Salary
- Access to Mercedes and FCA car lease scheme
- Private Medical Cover - Single cover, Family cover at an additional cost.
- Health Shield Cash Plan.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Individual Performance Bonus (IPB).
- Discount on our lease schemes with variety manufactures
- Company pension scheme - Initial 3% company contributions rising (after two years' service) to double-matched company contributions of up to 12%.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
How to apply
We are continuing to drive the delivery of our 2nd Century Plan across our entire business, helped by record sales, a new state of the art site and the strongest model line-up in our history, however without our people all this would count for nothing. If the above sounds like you, and you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career by becoming part of the Aston Martin Lagonda family, helping us to create and deliver the most beautiful & accomplished automotive art in the world, then we would love to hear from you.
Please click on the ‘Apply now’ button to submit your application.
PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to close the vacancy to applications earlier should we receive sufficient
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend