Senior Cost Engineer
Job no: 509699
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Categories: Vehicle Engineering
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
- Cost Engineering is a key department for Aston Martin ensuring value on Material, Tooling and Prototype Spending.
- The Cost Engineer is responsible for setting detailed cost targets for all new Aston Martin programs and plays a critical role in ensuring that changes made to the vehicle design represent value.
- The Cost Engineer will actively work with colleagues in Purchasing and Engineering to ensure that Commodity Team cost objectives are met.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cost Estimates - by analysing how much a component “should cost” to manufacture. Estimate the material used, process time, overheads and profit. Estimate comparison vs. quote & assisted Supplier negotiations with purchase.
- Benchmarking – compare similar components within the AML parts library and competitor vehicles through ‘tear-down’ exercises. Develop component cost database for benchmark analysis.
- Quotation Analysis – AML receive QAFs (Quotation Analysis Forms) from their suppliers. These should be analysed for Value for money. Through supplier visits the Estimator can confirm the content of the QAF and look for “waste” processes and commercial opportunities.
- Supplier Business Reviews – compile Supplier Business Review documentation identifying by cost driver the suppliers cost of manufacturing. To review the suppliers total business model and identify ways to reduce these costs.
- Supplier visits – where the candidate will be expected to positively represent the company and remain professional.
- VSM (Value Stream mapping) Cost down – together with the Supplier, the Estimator maps the current and future state maps identifying ways to improve processes and drive down costs.
- Engineering support – to provide guidance to the Engineer of the most cost-effective way of producing a component. All cost down modifications must payback incremental costs within one year of introduction.
Qualification & Experience:
- Degree or equivalent in Engineering or Business would be preferable.
- Experience in a comparable role in automotive or general manufacturing is preferred.
- Experience of driving cost efficient solutions with software and electronic suppliers is a key advantage.
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word is required.
- Use of Access would be an advantage.
- Full Driving license.
- Ability to negotiate and review data with all levels of Management.
Belong at Aston Martin
We understand that the incredible beauty, craft and art that defines an Aston Martin comes from the inclusion of our amazing people.
We welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, colour, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. We celebrate diversity and are seeking applicants who can bring something different. Please speak to us if there is anything you need to support making an application with us.
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend