Project Engineer- eMotor Technical Lead - PTN150
Job no: 498754
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Categories: Research and Development
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines, is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
Due to the significant growth Aston Martin has experienced in recent years we now benefit from being a true multi-site organisation, and as such this role could be based at a number of sites, including Gaydon, Wellesbourne and Milton Keynes
Lead the delivery of powertrain electric motors, including specification and selection of technology, materials, arrangement. Integration with Inverter and Transmission systems. Work with other powertrain and vehicle engineers to integrate the eMotor with cooling systems, follow component validation/certification through to full end of life and recycling requirements across multiple vehicle platforms.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Deliver technical solutions for the eMotors aimed at production projects delivered on time, to budget and to quality whilst meeting attribute targets.
- Leadership: Work with outsourced engineering partners to deliver eMotors design into production.
- Quality: Manage the utilisation of AML engineering quality teams and systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies, etc) to identify, contain and resolve potential quality concerns.
- Cost: Definition of eMotor system programme cost targets and control of PMSTs and suppliers to deliver sub-systems that achieve these targets. Evaluate RFQ responses and orchestrate supplier evaluation study.
- Function: Generate robust eMotor System Design Specifications (SDS) to define product functional targets that satisfy vehicle programme target attributes. Steer the Test and Development team in DVP planning and execution.
- Package: Manage CPMTs/CAD engineers to achieve assembly static and dynamic clearance targets. Arbitrate component package envelope, as well as negotiate change in other areas of AML Product Development to achieve acceptable compromises.
- Assembly: Interface, direct and challenge manufacturing engineering to ensure that eMotors components and assemblies can be built and installed into vehicles repeatedly and within required cycle time and cost.
- Timing: Define and manage the eMotor project plan from concept to production launch, including alignment to vehicle programme timing, AM-Mission milestones, design, procurement, vehicle builds and testing.
- Change Management: Manage and report out component tracking documents (MPT). Monitor Engineering Release Notice progression to manage planning and compromises, and resolve issues and timing concerns.
- Concerns System: Monitor and report upon project eCMS status, and resolve high risk concerns using appropriate resolution tools (8D, PPS, DFMEA, DVP)
- Meetings: Responsible for orchestration of; Commercial Reviews, Financial Reporting, Design & Development Reviews, Manufacturing Feasibility Reviews.
- FMA: Ensure eMotor system DFMEA timetable is established and manage progress throughout the design process. Monitor manufacturing PFMEAs progress in support of PSW completion and engineering issue resolution.
- FEC: Achieve Final Engineering Completion for the eMotor system, including guiding all of the sub-system CPMT groups to achieve FEC, where applicable.
- Benchmarking: Acquire and evaluate competitor information and conduct benchmarking studies. Including established and emerging technologies.
- Knowledge & Process: Maintain, protect and enhance AML IPR and standards, using available mechanisms (FMA, QHR, lessons learnt, technical training, collaborations, concept and research projects).
Qualifications and Experience
- Educated to Degree level or higher in Electrical engineering, or a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent relevant experience
- Thorough technical knowledge in a range of engineering disciplines, to enable to take full responsibility for delivery of eMotor from concept proposal through product specification and into production.
- Previous delivery of eMotors into production at an OEM
- Previous delivery of eMotors into production at a Tier 1 Supplier
- Prior demonstration of project management.
- Project finance accountability, control and reporting.
- Programme timing accountability, control and reporting.
- Technical delivery of eMotor system design, development, simulation and validation.
- Proven experience as the leader of a product development project to production
- Over 6 years combined experience in relevant engineering product development disciplines listed above.
- Budget proposal creation and spend authorisation on tooling, engineering and parts for the eMotor systems, and predict the calendarised spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget and spend profile.
- Negotiable salary circa £45k
- Access to Mercedes car schemes.
- Private Medical Cover - Single cover, Family cover at an additional cost.
- Health Shield Cash Plan.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Individual Performance Bonus (IPB).
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double. matched contribution from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
How to apply
We are continuing to drive the delivery of our 2nd Century Plan across our entire business, helped by record sales in 2018, a new state of the art site nearing completion and the strongest model line-up in our history, however without our people all this would count for nothing. If the above sounds like you, and you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career by becoming part of the Aston Martin family, helping us to create and deliver the most beautiful & accomplished automotive art in the world, then we would love to hear from you.
Please click on the 'apply now' button to submit your application.
PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to close the vacancy to applications earlier should we receive sufficient
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend