Parts Buyer - PAR066
Job no: 498605
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Wolverton Mill
Categories: Parts Operations
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
To procure services and replacement parts for current and non-current Aston Martin models at the most advantageous costs, consistent with the Company’s requirements in quality, service and business practice, and in support of the requirements of customers and the dealer network.
Key Responsibilities and tasks:
- Manage supplier performance ensuring that Quality, Cost and Delivery performance is maintained at high levels in line with Business T&C’s. In addition, provide enthusiasm and passion for driving continuous improvement in these metrics, internally at AML as well as at the Supplier.
- Ensure Product availability as per business requirements and at launch of each new model as well as supporting Initial Dealer Stock requirements (ISO).
- Liaising with Production Purchasing, Logistics and Engineering to minimise obsolescence due to part number changes.
- Work closely with Production Purchasing to ensure that Client services requirements are considered in sourcing decisions as well as cost transparency and compliance to T&C’s.
- To support AML +Alpha accessory project
- Conducts re-sourcing exercises whilst maintaining continuity of supply to meet requirements in the event of non-acceptable price, service or quality performance.
- Negotiate “all-time-buys” where absolutely necessary once all other avenues have been exhausted, establishes repair and recondition services for parts.
- Contributes in conjunction with specialist functions, in solving design, quality and costing problems.
- Demonstrate strong negotiation skills and an ability to analyse cost data and quickly assimilate supplier and AML processes, in order to drive achievement of Value for Money.
- To research, identify and select suppliers that improve commercial, quality, delivery and technology performance, in-line with established Purchasing processes.
- Develop and deliver Commodity Strategies for future sourcing.
- Liaise with Parts team regarding stock and delivery status as appropriate.
- Maintain integrity of delivery status information within ERP and backorder reports .
- Liaise with the Production MP&L area to manage the flow of “line pinch” material as well as the agreed Production supplied material.
- Control the supply of components/materials to on-site receiving areas and off-site warehouses from the UK/overseas suppliers. Determine and prioritise daily/weekly requirements by obtaining and analysing information pertaining to inventory status and customer orders, receiving facility/supply constraints, internal/external disputes, quality/packaging/transport problems etc. to balance stock levels against aftermarket requirements. Authorise suppliers to deliver items as required (in line with appropriate purchase order cover), requesting extraordinary action, e.g. overtime/tool changes etc. when necessary. Ensure deliveries are made as instructed and to the correct receiving area via telephone, email, fax or visit. Vet advice notes to ensure compliance to instructions.
- Negotiate with supplier, the finance for ‘special transport’ to ensure costs are kept to an absolute minimum consistent with maintaining the supply of components in support of customer requirements. Obtain appropriate authorisations and confirm to suppliers.
- Where quality problems threaten continuity of parts supply, raise rework requests, organise rework required, obtain suppliers authorisation for cost where applicable to enable release of goods not conforming to Engineering specifications. Raise concession or quarantine documentation for components not in line with engineering drawings and obtain relevant Engineers approval.
- Support Country of Origin, CCC and Harmonised Tariff documentation for all parts to be exported beyond the EU .
Qualifications & Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Extensive experience within a purchasing function within the Automotive Industry
- Product and market knowledge.
- Ability to generate own reports and metrics including the use of macros and other advances functions within MS Excel and Access.
- Sound analytical ability to be able to understand and analyse large quantities of complex data, and be able to present data and findings to audiences at all levels.
- Working understanding of logistics and global distribution.
- Ability to communicate at all levels both internally and externally and with all departments.
- Team player, ability to integrate and lead problem solving initiatives.
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
- The role requires a self starter to be able to work under their own initiative often delivering finished projects and business solutions to the management team
- The individual is required to work within Parts Operations not simply to maintain and achieve current service levels, but to actively inform and develop business strategy and innovation within the function and available resource.
- To drive business efficiencies at every opportunity.
- Salary, circa £38,000 dependant on experience.
- Access to Mercedes car schemes.
- Private Medical Cover - Single cover, Family cover at an additional cost.
- Health Shield Cash Plan.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Individual Performance Bonus (IPB).
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double. matched contribution from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
We are continuing to drive the delivery of our 2nd Century Plan across our entire business, helped by record sales in 2018, a new state of the art site nearing completion and the strongest model line-up in our history, however without our people all this would count for nothing. If the above sounds like you, and you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career by becoming part of the Aston Martin family, helping us to create and deliver the most beautiful & accomplished automotive art in the world, then we would love to hear from you.
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend