Quality Lead Engineer, Body Structure - CVS014
Job no: 497411
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: St. Athan, South Wales
A career at Aston Martin means joining one of the world's most respected luxury automotive brands. With this opportunity available now, you have the chance to join us in a truly special working environment that is fast-paced, rewarding and dynamic. The Construction of the new facility in South Wales is now fully underway, joining the team, is becoming part of the history of the Brand and of the heritage of the such a prestigious product, in such a new fantastic state of the art location.
Being a member of the quality team in Aston Martin means that you play an important role in ensuring that each vehicle leaves the production suite in the utmost pristine condition. Each car will be presented to the customer with perfect paint work, immaculate interior ensuring that flawless finish they expect.
Current Car Engineering (CCE) is responsible for the engineering and quality of all current production vehicles. We are looking for a Lead Engineer who is highly motivated and can demonstrate an ability to lead a small team within the area of Body Structures.
The CCE Body Structures team covers body tubs and BIW (Extrusions & castings, adhesives & sealing), all closures, composite, carbon fibre, metal panels and interior elements, leather wrap door finishers and headliners. The role has dual functionality with the engineer being responsible for both the engineering elements of the current car as well as Quality and Supplier management. A broad mechanical engineering background is required.
- Supervision – Responsible for the daily Supervision of their team delivering continuous improvement in DPV (Defects per vehicle), AMCPA (Customer Perception Audit), Warranty and CSI (Customer Satisfaction Survey) scores and removing roadblocks and escalate issues preventing delivery of tasks. Manage all open concerns.
- Objective setting - Play an instrumental role in enabling the function to achieve its business targets, through meeting / exceeding the defined objectives. Cascade these objectives through the leadership of your team and measure the team against achieving their targets.
- Appraisal - run 1:1 with team and perform mid and end of year appraisals
- Training - develop the team as appropriate identifying training needs and skills gaps.
- Technical understanding – good working knowledge of subject area. Understanding the manufacturing processes, component level design and manufacture, awareness of key safety requirements.
- Problem resolution – Have a methodical approach to problem solving with an ability to react quickly to identify root cause. Experience in problem solving required, using 8D, G8D, (Practical Problem Solving) PPS, 6 Sigma or similar.
- CCE - Engaging and working with the wider CCE team to deliver engineering solutions to cost, time, Quality & function. Supporting where necessary with testing and evaluation. Track these issues to resolution and verify they are closed off robustly.
- Feedback – Issues assigned through (Consumer Product Audit) CPA & (Dynamic Screening) DS need to be investigated and tracked to closure through the appropriate AMCPA or DS feedback sessions. Where appropriate, feedback engineering issues to (Product Development) PD function and drive reoccurrence prevention through Engineering Specification and DFMEA updates.
- DPV / RFT improvement – The team has a responsibility to work closely with the manufacturing and engineering teams to provide support to the production lines for containment and problem resolution of build issues caused by design, engineering, production or supplier quality issues. You will be expected to lead cross functional teams to achieve this result, implementing design changes where necessary using the engineering releasing system. (Defects Per Vehicle – DPV / Right First Time – RFT)
- Parts quality and supplier engineering requests (PPAP / AMPAP and SREA Management) – Sign off part quality and Supplier Requests for Engineering Approval following the PPAP / AMPAP process.
- Supplier support & investigations – Supplier investigations to identify issues with key processes on or off site and working with suppliers to drive continuous improvements in supplier manufacturing process and support supplier resourcing activities.
- Setting standards – Update Vehicle Inspection Standards (VIS)
- Warranty - Proactively track Warranty status and implement improvement activities to reduce cost and frequency.
- New Models - Engage with new model functions to share issues and learning on current model, demonstrate resolution and verify previously raised issues are robustly closed off during the current build phase or at the next build phase.
- EBHS - Evaluation of Equivalent Body Hole Size (EBHS) and its potential impact on wind noise and water leaks
- Client Services - Produce Technical Bulletins to support dealer network learning.
- Quality - Writing of Quality Management System for Body Structures.
The post holder will undertake other duties as may be required to achieve the Company’s objectives, commensurate with the grading of the post.
Experience & Qualifications
- Engineering HNC, Degree or Equivalent.
- Good working knowledge of Body Structures.
- Broad engineering and manufacturing knowledge.
- Broad knowledge of vehicle.
- Experience of component design.
- Experience in inspection systems.
- Worked in OE or Teir1 manufacturing environment (CVE / PVT / Production / Plant Quality/ PD).
- Must be proficient in MS Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Chairing meetings and running effective meeting minutes / CCAR’s.
- Awareness of QMS (ISO 9001 / IATF16949 / AIAG).
- Must be able to negotiate with internal and external departments to ensure effective vehicle evaluation.
- Salary Circa - £44,000
- Access to Mercedes car schemes.
- Private Medical Cover - Single cover, Family cover at an additional cost.
- Health Shield Cash Plan.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Individual Performance Bonus (IPB).
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double. matched contribution from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
How to apply
We are continuing to drive the delivery of our 2nd Century Plan across our entire business, helped by record sales in 2018, a new state of the art site nearing completion and the strongest model line-up in our history, however without our people all this would count for nothing. If the above sounds like you, and you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career by becoming part of the Aston Martin family, helping us to create and deliver the most beautiful & accomplished automotive art in the world, then we would love to hear from you.
Please click on the 'apply now' button to submit your application.
PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to close the vacancy to applications earlier should we receive sufficient applications
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend