Vehicle Engineering Manager (Short Series) - QAO102
Job no: 497143
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Categories: Special Projects
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
Manage and control all aspects of vehicle engineering for the QAO Short Series Programmes, through liaison between Programme Manager, VLD, Chief Engineer, QAO Prototype Build and PAT/PMT leaders to deliver robust product within cost, time, programme constraints and meeting Vehicle Engineering led programme attribute targets.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Lead the development of targets for vehicle attributes in conjunction with the VLD, Programme Manager, PMT Leaders and PAT’s working from high-level Marketing PALS, down to system and component targets.
- Lead the generation, population and management of the Commodity Progression Tracker (CPT) and review with CPE and associated PMT’s, to ensure robust achievement of Vehicle Engineering deliverables at technical checkpoints.
- Manage total vehicle quality (including liaising with NML/NMO relating to QLAM target achievement), weight and functional objectives, report status throughout programme and deliver solutions to meet requirements.
Architecture & Design:
- Lead the development of vehicle architecture types, whether it be whole platform, or system archetypes to ensure attribute targets are delivered.
- Arbitrate in vehicle package discussions through the design and virtual series aspects of the programme.
- Lead resolution and achievement of A-surface compatibility with Studio teams, to ensure overall design theme is compatible with vehicle attributes. Including leading CP checkpoint events around surface releasing.
- Work in parallel with the Virtual Verification Manager, through the V0 through V4 design phase maturation process to confirm, complete and compatible assumptions. Lead PMT’s into defining compatible design solutions that meet program targets.
- Run DJ events and sign releases to ensure all parts are fit for function and meet targets.
- Lead Vehicle Engineering support functions (attribute leaders/block leaders) into delivering attribute solutions to meet targets.
- Ensure attribute concerns are closed within the timeframes dictated at each build phase of the programme and the closure plans and solutions meet VEM defined targets.
- Lead vehicle sign off events, evaluation drives and resolution of issues post build prior to PMT handover.
Design Verification Planning:
- Develop whole vehicle test plans to demonstrate functional and attribute performance to meet design requirements and programme targets (DV & PV).
- Work in parallel with the Quality team to ensure PMT’s have completed DFMEA’s, P Diagram’s, Boundary diagrams in line with failure mode avoidance requirements as inputs to vehicle test plans and DVP’s.
- Critique and validate individual PMT DVP’s to ensure development and S/O tests are valid, justified and meet programme key gateways (PEC/FEC). Where necessary coach PMT leaders and teams on robust DVP generation.
- Ensure the programme VPP meets with DVP requirements.
- Ensure the Prototype build timing, vehicle quantities and specifications support PMT requirements for DVP testing, development and S/O.
- Lead the design of prototype builds including specifications and bridging parts and take part in regular design reviews to ensure prototypes are fit for purpose.
- Ensure adequate test parts are ordered for all builds to support DVP requirements.
- Manage the Vehicle Engineering Fleet Coordinators into achieving day to day tasks including effective fleet management to support DVP and tuning activities.
- Represent Vehicle Engineering in cross-functional teams and meetings and take a lead where appropriate to resolve conflicts.
- Agenda and run VIT & Tech Forum meetings. Attend Grey-Red reviews, VCIM, Architecture and Style reviews as required.
- Review Vehicle Engineering processes/procedures and initiate improvements to gain product quality, efficiency and timing.
- Report out status at Gateways in line with MISSION Vehicle Engineering deliverables on all vehicle verification activities (Vehicle, Rig and CAE) and attribute/target achievement and alignment.
- Mechanical, production or automotive Engineering Degree or equivalent.
- Experience in component design, development, testing and S/O.
- Competent with FMA tools, techniques and principals.
- Experience in vehicle test and development activities.
- Capable of using Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience of MISSION.
- Salary, circa £54,000.
- One management lease vehicle, either a Mercedes or Ford.
- Up to 5% bonus potential.
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double matched contributions from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Private Health Insurance – Single Cover.
- Private Dental Plan – Single Cover.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
There really has never been a better time to join Aston Martin Lagonda, with strong financial results, a significant growth plan in place, a new site nearing completion and arguably the strongest model line up in the Company’s history, so if you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career and become part of the AML family apply today for consideration.
Advertised: GMT Standard Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend