Senior CAD Engineer: Exhaust Cold End - PTN164
Job no: 494756
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Categories: Research and Development
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
Due to the significant growth Aston Martin has experienced in recent years we now benefit from being a true multi-site organisation, and as such this role could be based at a number of sites, including Gaydon, Wellesbourne and Milton Keynes.
Responsible for all 3D & 2D design activity from initial concept to production introduction, for the cold end exhaust sub-team. Must have extensive design experience and knowledge of best practice, with an ability to drive continuous improvement, design for manufacture and system optimisation (cost, time and function). Expected generation of system 2D & 3D CAD in support of project requirements, whilst working closely alongside the cold-end project engineer. The candidate will have an active interest in full system requirements- outside of “pure CAD” role
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead design contact for cold-end exhaust (CEE) within product development
- Supporting integration of CEE alongside “Project engineer-CEE” & “Project engineer– exhaust integration”
- Drive CEE design optimisation activities for cost and weight reduction
- Drive CEE design for functionality – striving for optimum sound quality & system functional performance
- Support CEE system full installation, design for AML manufacturing
- Support CEE system serviceability
- Responsible for generation of all CEE 3D & 2D CAD data to AML engineering standards
- Expectation to work confidently with large, complex models – considering multiple systems and requirements
- Will manage data transfer to and from AML to external suppliers and 3rd party organisations – in line with AML protocol.
- Support project engineer use of CAE design validation tools where possible for system analysis (support role for interrogation & corrective action – not generation)
- Sound level / order simulation
- Backpressure simulation
- Modal analysis
- Stress loading / fatigue simulation
- Lead cross functional design meetings where/when required
- Support vehicle build events throughout the development lifecycle
- Support issue resolution throughout the development lifecycle
- Support assessment of existing CEE design in AML production for cross-platform / model communisation
- Support assessment of existing CEE system & component design for mass/cost down opportunity
- Support cross-platform integration of E&HM mid-life model refresh content / value added option content
- Lead for integration of future modular technologies (in line with continuous improvement)
- Lead for integration of lightweight / thin wall materials &/or heat shield material vs air gap trade
- Lead for integration of future exhaust trends: valve technologies, sound generation, muffler volume reduction, backpressure minimisation, etc.
- Guide & Support generation of system “project” documentation with knowledge of best practice & experience
- DFMEA / DVP
- Quality history review (QHR)
- System design specification (SDS)
Qualifications and Experience
- An appropriate Engineering Degree or relevant experience
- Extensive exhaust system or similar component design in the OEM sector OR in the T1 / T2 supply sector
- Experience of integrating with a cross functional team, including complex issue resolution.
- Complete knowledge of Product Development cycle from concept to launch completion
- Excellent technical engineering background and a comprehensive knowledge of system design for cost, function, manufacture & assembly
- Excellent technical knowledge of exhaust system (or similar) manufacturing processes and requirements
- Technical knowledge of exhaust design optimisation process & cross-system trade offs
- Understanding of legal, attribute & performance detail for full exhaust system design
- Experience of system light weighting & design optimisation as part of continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels
- Must be able to project manage and work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
- Very competent use of 3D/2D CAD generation and manipulation using NX.
- In depth knowledge of NX function and processes
- In depth knowledge of GD&T process and standards, as suitable to product
- Able to communicate confidently and clearly
- Able to set, manage and deliver targets
- Analytically minded
- Strong technical focus
- Drive for continuous improvement and technical innovation
- Ability to challenge conventional thinking
- Full UK driving license
- Travel will be required, UK & overseas
- Salary circa: £35,000
- Discount on our privilege lease scheme, either a Mercedes or Ford.
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double matched contributions from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Private Health Insurance – Single Cover.
- Private Dental Plan – Single Cover.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
How to apply
There really has never been a better time to join Aston Martin Lagonda, with strong financial results, a significant growth plan in place, a new site nearing completion and arguably the strongest model line up in the Company’s history, so if you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career and become part of the AML family apply today for consideration
Please click on the 'apply now' button to submit your application.
PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to close the vacancy to applications earlier should we receive sufficient applications
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend