Manager: Chassis Applications - CHS059
Job no: 493039
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Gaydon, Warwickshire
Categories: Research and Development
Aston Martin is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real.
Due to the significant growth Aston Martin has experienced in recent years we now benefit from being a true multi-site organisation, and as such this role could be based at a number of sites, including Gaydon, Wellesbourne and Milton Keynes
Chassis management lead within the programme team. Manage the functional and technical delivery of all of the Chassis systems to the vehicle platforms. Manage the generation and maintenance of Chassis costs, timing plans, reporting documents and presentation material.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Chassis management lead within Programme. Responsible for applying and introducing all Chassis systems to a given programme.
- Collaborate with other application managers & engineers, systems integration engineers & commodity engineers to achieve whole vehicle quality & cost targets.
- Work with commodity engineers across Research and Development to ensure a robust system delivery plan is created & achieved.
- Work with vehicle engineering to support builds and project milestones.
- Lead meetings including gateways and Programme check points.
- Define the engineering change content in response to the Strategic Evaluation Letter.
- Ensure that commodity financial targets reflect the activities required to deliver all features across Product Development.
- Support Programme Manager and Concept Leader to balance performance and cost targets by providing information on the cost to deliver new features.
- Define programme’s Chassis engineering resource requirements (internal and external).
- Work with Concept Leader to ensure that platform commodities and functional archetypes are applied, and that Function commodities integrate effectively with other commodities to achieve overall vehicle targets.
- Create boundary diagrams for new features & identify which componentry is required to support their delivery.
- Ownership of Chassis System Specification.
- Perform system reviews during concept phase.
- Ensure that Chassis systems and components are delivered by application & platform engineers to achieve the cascaded feature content. Includes:
- Use external engineering partners as required to deliver system designs & component feature content.
- Co-located with Programme Manager, collaborates with cross-functional programme team including application engineers from other Functions, Vehicle Performance & Concept, Purchasing, Manufacturing & Quality to deliver the programme QCFT (quality, cost, function and timing) requirements.
- Work with application & commodity engineers across Research and Development to create a robust vehicle delivery plan for the whole vehicle.
- Ensure that application, platform engineers & external engineering partners achieve the delivery plan, working with them to create & manage recovery plans as required (escalating to the Programme Manager as required). Includes:
- Manage functional implementation progression over time.
- Manage Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis and Final Engineer Sign Off progression documentation
- Manage together with the Chassis manager, the implementation of the Chassis engineering commodities and delivery lead times.
- Monitor internal & external engineering integration resource utilisation to identify potential efficiency improvements for the next programme.
- Creates & manages whole vehicle integration test plans.
- Support system engineers in system validation.
- Responsible for whole vehicle system qualification, ensuring all features are robustly validated.
- Ensures effective report writing to identify potential efficiency improvements for the next programme.
- Ensure that all concerns are robustly resolved.
- First port of call for build issues & vehicle sign off.
- Assist in data collection and analysis for problem resolution
- Coordinate software versions and incompatibilities within the engineering fleet.
- Support the commodity Final Engineer Sign Off process. Includes:
- Support system engineers with Practical Failure Mode and Effects Analysis/System Failure Mode and Effects Analysis.
- Support and facilitate System reviews and system FMEA.
- Create information packs to be presented in meetings, to all levels of the business.
- Outsource engineers to achieve the delivery plan.
- Must guarantee the functional and technical delivery of all of the systems to the project.
- Attend cross-functional programme meetings to discuss Chassis delivery issues.
- Must create Chassis gateway slides and attend gateway meetings.
- Manage and lead all required Programme financial reviews. Work with the Programme and Finance teams to provide all information in the correct format.
Qualifications and Experience
- Mechanical Engineering Degree preferred or a degree in another appropriate discipline will be considered
- Extensive experience gained with Chassis commodities.
- Project management experience.
- Proven record or working to strict deadlines.
- Extensive experience gained within a Component Engineering environment.
- Good working knowledge of Excel, Power Point, Project.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Confidence with presenting to seniors and taking away actions.
- Excellent understanding of Chassis technologies and their function.
- Can manage and produce and maintain timing plans.
- Able to manage a small team of 2 - 4 people.
- Confident to interface with many departments such as Finance, Programme Management, Attributes and Purchase
- Strong time management , accuracy , diligence , ability to balance and prioritise multiple tasks to meet customer needs
- Competent in all Microsoft Office applications
- Salary circa: £50,000
- One management lease vehicle, either a Mercedes or Ford.
- Up to 5% bonus potential
- Contributory pension scheme – 3% matched for years 1 & 2, rising to double matched contributions from year 3 to a maximum employer contribution of 12%.
- 26 days annual leave + statutory bank holidays.
- Private Health Insurance – Single Cover.
- Private Dental Plan – Single Cover.
- A wide range of discounts with associated partners.
How to apply
There really has never been a better time to join Aston Martin Lagonda, with strong financial results, a significant growth plan in place, a new site nearing completion and arguably the strongest model line up in the Company’s history, so if you feel ready to take the next exciting step in your already successful career and become part of the AML family apply today for consideration
Please click on the 'apply now' button to submit your application.
PLEASE NOTE: We reserve the right to close the vacancy to applications earlier should we receive sufficient applications.
Advertised: GMT Daylight Time
Applications close: GMT Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend